Wednesday 4 February 2009

Let There be Flight




Had a little time experimenting with flight shots down at the Sculpture Park now the sun has decided to honour us with its presence. The speed at which the birds fly makes it very difficult to freeze the motion of their wings but I tried.


For the photographers amongst you I had to use 1/3200th of a second exposure at f6.3 with a Nikon D3 and 600mm f4 lens to capture the movement of this Nuthatch and Coal Tit. The ISO was also at 3200 in order to get these high shutter speeds . I'm looking forward to the sun rising higher in the sky as spring heads our way, giving me higher light levels to play with.


I have a passion for flight shots as they are so hard to acheive and show the bird in its true element. Static poses are OK but do not capture the true nature of the bird.